Re: store sent mail and incoming mail in one group?

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: store sent mail and incoming mail in one group?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:16:28 -0400

Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> writes:

> Somehow, I want my mail group to be managed more or less like the way
> news groups do.  That is I can see my mails in sort of subject in one
> group where both my incoming mails and sent-out mails are listed.
>
> Does it mean what I only need is to put the sent mails in the same
> group with my incoming mail?  And how?

I always bcc mail to myself:

(require 'message)
(setq message-required-mail-headers
      (nconc message-required-mail-headers
             (list '(Bcc . "dmaze@mit.edu"))))

And then sort mail using nnmail-split-fancy with "any" tags:

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      `(|
        (: spam-split)
        (any mail "mail.misc.admin")
        (& ; mailing lists
         (to "ding@gnus\\.org" "mail.lists.gnus.ding")
         ; ...
        )
        (& ; personal mail
         (any "friend@example\\.org" "mail.people.example.friend")
         ; ...
        )
        (any "dmaze@.*mit\\.edu" "mail.misc.personal")
        "mail.misc.impersonal")
      nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

Other people seem to like using Gnus' message-archive feature and
inserting Gcc: headers in outgoing mail to archive in particlar
groups; see info://gnus/Archived+Messages for details on how this
works.

  --dzm