Re: how do I modify headers in outgoing email/articles?

From: Michael Slass
Subject: Re: how do I modify headers in outgoing email/articles?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:59:30 -0700

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

>At 17:07 on Jul 21 2005, Michael Slass said :
>
>> What variable(s) can I frob so that my outgoing emails will appear to
>> originate from miknrene@drizzle.com instead of from my home machine?
>
>C-h v user-mail-address RET should help.
>
>--
>Sébastien Kirche

Yeah, you'd think that, but it doesn't help the message-id.  As it
turns out, the function `message-make-fqdn' gives priority to the
hostname of the machine over the domain name in your
`user-mail-address', so setting the latter doesn't help in the
composition of the message-id.

I wrote this advice to change that, and now my message ids get the
domain name from `user-mail-address'

(defadvice message-make-fqdn (around message-make-fqdn-around)
  "Give higher priority to domain from `message-user-mail-address'"
  (let* ((user-mail (message-user-mail-address))
         (user-domain
          (if (and user-mail
                   (string-match "@\\(.*\\)\\'" user-mail))
              (match-string 1 user-mail))))
    (setq ad-return-value
          (if (and user-domain
                   (stringp user-domain)
                   (string-match message-valid-fqdn-regexp user-domain)
                   (not (string-match message-bogus-system-names user-domain)))
              user-domain
            (progn ad-do-it ad-return-value)))))

I'm still not sure whether I need to try to modify the code which
performs the SMTP transaction so that my computer will present itself
as the machine receiving the ssh connection, rather than as my bogus
machine name.
--
Mike Slass