nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-telnet - "Denied server"

From: Mark Carroll
Subject: nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-telnet - "Denied server"
Date: 04 Nov 2005 19:37:01 +0000 (GMT)

ssh -C -t -e none carroll@stdsun.cse.ohio-state.edu telnet -8
news.cis.ohio-state.edu nntp
connects me to the NNTP server and I can go on to type "mode reader"
at it, "group <whatever>", etc. to look at articles in newsgroups
without having to type a password. I'm using authentication based on
authorized asymmetric keys loaded into ssh-agent.

However, if I try Gnus v5.10.7 under Debian GNU/Linux, in an emacs
started from the same console I did the above ssh from, I can't
connect to the server. It asks things like,

Unable to open nntp:osu-cse, go offline?

and the *Messages* buffer says things like,

Opening nntp server on osu-cse...
Denied server
Opening nntp server on osu-cse...failed
Opening nntp server on osu-cse...
Denied server
Opening nntp server on osu-cse...failed

The total of my .gnus.el is:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "osu-cse"
             (nntp-address "news.cis.ohio-state.edu")
             (nntp-via-user-name "carroll")
             (nntp-via-address "stdsun.cse.ohio-state.edu")
             (nntp-via-rlogin-command "ssh")
             (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
             (nntp-via-rlogin-command-switches '("-C" "-t" "-e" "none"))
             (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-telnet)))

(setq user-mail-address "mark@ixod.org")

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? What might I be doing wrong?

-- Mark