Re: How to define this summary-line-format?

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: How to define this summary-line-format?
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:22:14 +0100

At 18:11 on nov 7 2005, leon said :

> I mean the dashed lines in the summary window. Those separate date & I
> name etc. I tried using '|' but it looked like continuous line. I
> really like the dashed line.

Oh, then those lines come from the "%4{|%}" parts of my
gnus-summary-line-format. Basically it makes gnus place a pipe char
between the fields.
I suppose that the dash style is due to some characters that are bigger
than the pipe and it makes Emacs adapt the line height.

> > With a custom date format :
> > ;; affichage de la date en relatif
> > (setq gnus-user-date-format-alist
> >       '(((gnus-seconds-today) . " %k:%M") ;dans la journée = 14:39
> >             ((+ 86400 (gnus-seconds-today)) . "hier %k:%M")
> >             ;hier = hier 14:39
> >             ((+ 604800 (gnus-seconds-today)) . "%a %k:%M")
> >             ;dans la semaine = sam 14:39
> >             ((gnus-seconds-month) . "%a %d") ;ce mois = sam 28
> >             ((gnus-seconds-year) . "%b %d") ;durant l'année = mai 28 (t
> >             . "%b %d '%y"))) ;le reste = mai 28 '05
> >

> Get this error: "symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-face-5"
> My knowledge of gnus doesn't allow me to debug this.

Sorry that error comes also from my gnus-summary-line-format where the
%4{xxx} expressions make gnus use the corresponding gnus-face-4. So the
%first error mentionning gnus-face-5 is caused by the %5 in first line
%of the format that places the messages flags.
I forget to refer to them.

To correct that you can either rid the "%number{" and the corresponding
"}" or you can define your own faces.
E.g. :

    (copy-face 'default 'mysubject)
    (setq gnus-face-1 'mysubject)

    (copy-face 'default 'mytime)
    (set-face-foreground 'mytime "indianred4")
    (setq gnus-face-2 'mytime)

> [...]
> I highly appreciate your help! However I got some weird boxes instead
> of the beautiful threading. The screenshot is here
> (http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/sl392/gnus.png).
>
> I'm running gnus 5.10.6 from emacs-snapshot-gtk in debian
> unstable. It's actually 22.0.50.1. I think it should have utf-8
> support. Maybe I'm missing something in the configure. Any ideas?

The hollow boxes show that Emacs did not found a suitable font to
display the corresponding character. In this case it's unicode chars.

BTW : for a char you can obtain some details about the code and the
rendering font with C-u C-x = on the char.

Try to get the unifont Debian package that should help to display unicode
chars (it helped me with Debian to get them).

> Again, thanks very much

:) I'm glad to provide those settings that I carefully collected for
months from many different information sources, including the french
emacs group fr.comp.applications.emacs, the Big8 comp.emacs,
gnu.emacs.help, gnu.emacs.gnus *and* the emacs-wiki
(http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki)

HTH
--
Sébastien Kirche