Re: Gnus stuck in select/gettimeofday loop

From: Neil Woods
Subject: Re: Gnus stuck in select/gettimeofday loop
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:18:57 +0000

> Neil Woods <cnw+usenet-0602@pobox.com> writes:
>> Occasionally¹ Emacs will lock up completely whilst in Gnus, at this
>> point it is unresponsive to C-g.
>> Any help on this, and advice on how best I can debug this would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>
> Just to be clear, the fact that Emacs becomes unresponsive to C-g is a
> sure indicator that you have a bug in Emacs itself, not in Gnus.

Okay.

> It might be more helpful if you'd let folks know the exact version of
> GNU Emacs that you've got (M-x emacs-version RET); perhaps there is a
> known problem from that version, and possibly you should merely find
> an update more recent than Debian's snapshot.

M-x emacs-version RET

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.10) of
2006-02-22 on drazi, modified by Debian

There was nothing in the Debian bug archives resembling this problem,
and searching the web provided some (very) marginally relevant hits,
though they were some years old.

This problem has been intermittent through the last several versions of
emacs-snapshot from Debian.  It's conceivable that it could be a library
or kernel problem, but I've had no problems otherwise so this seems
unlikely. I'm running the last stable version of the Debian kernel

% uname -rv
2.6.12-1-k7 #1 Tue Sep 27 13:22:07 JST 2005

--
Neil.
Don't go to bed with no price on your head.