Re: Showing Complete Active Threads

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Showing Complete Active Threads
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 23:45:15 +0100

Rolleston <Nemo@nullsome.net> writes:

> It attempts to download every header it can from the news server. Try
> that on 'alt.test' and you'll begin to see why (setq
> gnus-fetch-old-headers t) is a bad idea. :)

Sometimes I was wondering why Gnus downloads several MBs when the group
only has a few new articles, too.

>> BTW: I use
>>
>>      (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 'some)
>>
>> which fetches only those old headers needed to prevent loose threads
>> (all old headers till a common parent article is found). That's more
>> concise and expresses this thread's structure as well.
>
> Sounds good. If only it worked! :)

At least it seems to work here with a fresh CVS Gnus.

> Ok, how about another approach?

Sorry, but that's too advanced for me. First I would try to check if
it's a real bug. Perhaps try setting

     (setq nntp-record-commands t)

which sends nntp-commands to Buffer *nntp-log*. Then you can see which
articles it fetches and see if it acts correctly. Helping to fix a bug
(if it really is one) is much better than working arround it.

Best regards,
Tassilo