Re: duplicate groups in my groups buffer

From: gdt
Subject: Re: duplicate groups in my groups buffer
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:02:18 -0400

> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> In the last week or so, I am getting duplicate groups in my group listings
>> buffer.
>>
>> If I delete 1, theyh both go.
>
> How do you delete them?

I had a similar problem.  I was using ^K to delete.

It turned out that I had groups with select method like

"nnimap:ptt.example.com"

which is right, matching an entry in gnus-secondary-select-methods and
also

(nnimap "ptt.example.com")

which is an incorrect "foreign group" specification, which I might
have got from using U

The latter entry caused g to only check one group, and use the long
form of IMAP check rather then status.  After hints from
Simon Josefsson, I examined all my imap groups and fixed the select
method not to use the list form.

Now, g is fast, and I have not had any more duplicate groups problem.
Note that I don't claim these two issues are related, but it seems
that foreign imap select methods that shadow a real select method
cause trouble.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com>