Re: scoring crossposts

From: Karl Kleinpaste
Subject: Re: scoring crossposts
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:00:06 -0400

Dale Henderson <nilram@hotpop.com> writes:
> So I was wondering could I score on the newsgroups header. According
> to the documentation Newsgroups isn't a valid header to score on.

If your server runs INN, you can ask your newsadmin to add
"Newsgroups:full" to the control file "overview.fmt".  If that
happens, then all future arriving articles will get Newsgroups data
into overview, and you can score on Newsgroups as an "extra" header.

This will make overviews somewhat larger on the server, and so your
newsadmin might not be willing, but at least you can ask.  That said,
the increase in size from Newsgroups' presence in overviews is not at
all large in the usual case, and is really totally eclipsed by e.g.
References chains that always already appear in overviews.

"Extra" scoring is referenced at the end of info://Gnus/To+From+Newsgroups
as regards gnus-extra-headers, whose default value is '(To Newsgroups).

(I also recommend "Keywords:full" and "NNTP-Posting-Host:full" in
overview.fmt.)