Re: `del' key not working out of x environment

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: `del' key not working out of x environment
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:41:11 +0200

gdt@work.lexort.com writes:

> There is a longstanding issue about the labeling and coding of keys on
> keyboards.  Originally (in the non-IBM world), the key in the upper
> right was marked DEL or Delete, and sent the ASCII DEL symbol (0177).
> This was used as the byte that caused a previous input symbol to be removed.
>
> [snip]
>
> The following comments and Xresources fragments, intended for those
> with PC keyboards, explain how to fix xterm so that the Backspace key
> generates DEL and to avoid making xterm set BS as the erase character.
>
> You seem to be having a different problem, which is that whatever
> system you are using to type on is not generating an ASCII DEL (0177)
> when you push the backspace key.  Or perhaps you are pushing the
> 'Delete' key.

Thanks indeed for your ponderous posting, which is though a bit hard for me
to fully understand.
But it gave me the idea of using the backspace key in place of the <del> key,
and it works fine:
to delete a message, I do `B <backspace>' (or also `B Ctrl-<del>');
to go back one page within a message, <backspace>.

Thanks indeed,
Rodolfo