Re: gnus-posting-styles

From: Steven E. Harris
Subject: Re: gnus-posting-styles
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:53:09 -0700

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Possibly, but it only happens with the personality which includes
> the"."  in the "name" so I'm a little stuck.

Right. Note that I'm posting with my middle initial present, followed
by a period. I discovered this rule years ago when I started using my
middle initial.

See RFC 822 Section 6.1, ADDRESS SPECIFICATION. In particular, look
at "mailbox". A name preceding the actual address is a "phrase",
which, per Section 3.3, contains one or more "words", which are in
turn comprised either of quoted strings or "atoms". An atom can be any
"CHAR" except a "special", of which the period is one.

To use a period before an address, one must use a quoted string. The
parenthetical form is a "comment", described in Section 3.2, HEADER
FIELD DEFINITIONS.

--
Steven E. Harris