Re: a couple of newbie questions with gnus

From: Martin Jørgensen
Subject: Re: a couple of newbie questions with gnus
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 17:22:10 +0200

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> unoder.spam@spam.jay.net (Martin Jørgensen) writes:
>
> Hi Martin,
>
>> Thanks a lot! Everything seem to work now - this message is from
>> gnus...
>
> Congratulations!

Hehe. Thanks :-)

>> But I still think I should follow this group for a while and perhaps
>> google for some gnus tutorials
>
> The tutorial is here: http://my.gnus.org/tutorial/

I looked at some of it and will look at it again later. I can now do the most
basic things...

>> or something... There are still a lot of small "problems" that annoys
>> me a bit...
>
> One of which is that you poste too long lines, right?

It doesn't annoy me and nobody complained until now. Is it a problem? Because I
assumed that most usenet-clients just wrap long lines so they don't see any
problem at all?

> To automatically wrap lines at 72 chars, put something like that into
> your ~/.emacs (or ~/.gnus.el, but message-mode belongs to emacs, so I
> have it in its init file):
>
> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (setq fill-column 72)
>             (turn-on-auto-fill)))

Ok, thanks. Suppose I want to outcomment something, should I then use ";;" in
front of each line? I saw something about ";;" in the beginning of some lines...

> To reformat a paragraph simply hit `M-q'.

Ok, thanks. I'll probably need that.

> ,----[ C-h k M-q ]
> | M-q runs the command fill-paragraph
> |    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `fill.el'.
> | It is bound to M-q.
> | (fill-paragraph ARG)
-snip (got it)-

My next problems are for instance:

1) Currently I use this "aquamacs emacs" since it was shipped with auctex and
previewtex and I don't know how to setup that from a "clean emacs". So it
constantly opens stupid windows that I can't "C-x o" between.... I have to
mouse-click them to select them... Annoying.

2) If I try open gnus from "yaced emacs" I get this:

Wrote /Users/mac/.newsrc-dribble
Gnus auto-save file exists.  Do you want to read it? (y or n)
Reading /Users/mac/.newsrc.eld...
Reading active file from 192.168.1.134 via nntp...
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...
byte-code: gnus-agent-read-agentview no longer supports version 1.  Stop gnus,
manually evaluate gnus-agent-convert-to-compressed-agentview, then restart gnus.

Anyone know what that's about?

3) In mozilla thunderbird I enabled this option "Only show threads with new
postings" so it'll automatically show the whole thread *only if* there are new
replies in that thread. Threads where everything is read won't be shown...

This is really nice - is it possible to do something with gnus? Sometimes I
used this "A T"-thing to see old posts in the current thread...

4) What's this ~/.newsrc-dribble file doing?

That was just what I could think of now...

Best regards
Martin Jørgensen

Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk