Re: How many use eMacs and Gnus on daily basis?

From: Robert D. Crawford
Subject: Re: How many use eMacs and Gnus on daily basis?
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 15:01:25 -0500

Joe Bush <bushj004@hawaii.rr.com> writes:

>>I don't even run a window manager.  I just start emacs from my .xsession
>>file.  I am not saying that this will work for everyone.  If you are
>>used to point-clicky interfaces you might not like emacs.  Manipulating
>>graphics files is, I believe, a no-go, but viewing them works.
>
> Can you explain how this is done, or provide a link that describes the
> steps?

Really it's just as Tim said.  I log into the machine via a console.  I
don't run [xgk]dm.  After I log in I issue the command

startx

which starts x.  My .xsession file looks like this,:

/*  next line begins .xsession */

#!/bin/bash
# I am not sure that I need this anymore, as I don't
# use anything but emacs.  Take a look at the man page
# for xrdb to see what it is for.
xrdb ~/.Xdefaults

# I have remapped the capslock key to be a super key, and the
# browser next and back buttons on my Thinkpad to perform emacs
# functions
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

# I can see enough to tell that there is a sliver of the root
# window that is not covered by emacs, therefore I set it to be
# black
xsetroot -solid black

# if you wanted to start a wm from here, in this case, fvwm, here
# is how to do it.
#exec fvwm

# Instead, I run a script that starts emacs with emacspeak
exec emacspeak

/*  end .xsession file  */

Then, just as Tim said, when you exit emacs, you exit x, which will take
you back to the console or the x login manager.

rdc

Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net