Re: smtpmail and starttls

From: barutanseijin
Subject: Re: smtpmail and starttls
Date: 17 Jul 2006 06:31:44 -0700

Hadron Quark wrote:
> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've been googling for ages now and am still unable to get gnus talking
> > to gmail's smtp server. I need to pass off sending of emails to an
> > external smtp because my dynamic IP gets black listed as a mail source
> > for the likes of hotmail which doesnt trust non permanent smtp servers.

> Here is the dialog error reports:
>
> 250-SIZE 20971520
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first c28sm2374474nfb
> 221 2.0.0 mx.gmail.com closing connection c28sm2374474nfb
>
> Anyone? This is driving me nuts .

I haven't dug into the precise reasons, but I had similar problems on
x86 Slackware.   As you know, Slackware is mostly x86, so when I got a
ppc laptop, I ended up installing gentoo.  The same setup which had not
worked under slackware mysteriously began to work.  As I said, I
haven't dug around too much to pinpoint exactly why, but I'm assuming
that gentoo has something configured properly by default and ubuntu and
slackware require some extra tinkering.  Exactly where I don't know.
Believe it or not, this is the main reason I still use gentoo instead
of Slackintosh.