Re: Those blasted \201 characters

From: Peter Dalgaard
Subject: Re: Those blasted \201 characters
Date: 15 Sep 2006 22:36:54 +0200

> On Fri, Sep 15 2006, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>
> > Every accented character received in mail from certain senders get
> > preceded by the dreaded \201 character.
> >
> > I think this happened after I killed an ancient line with
> >
> > (standard-display-european 1)
> >
> > to get rid of a UTF8 display problem. It appears to be happening in
> > the nnmail step - i.e. there are no \201's in $MAIL, but they are
> > there in ~/Mail/misc/mail/12345.
> >
> > I tried reinstating the above line,
>
> Please don't.
>
> > which reintroduced the UTF8 problem, but didn't cure the \201
> > thing... (well, maybe I didn't check on newly arrived mail, need to
> > recheck).
> >
> > Any clues?
> >
> > [LC_CTYPE=da_DK, other LC items set to C]
>
> I'm quite sure that there's something bogus in your setup.  I haven't
> used Gnus 5.9 since ages, but I guess it should not show this problem
> (unless you use standard-display-european).

> Could you upgrade to Gnus 5.10.8 or upgrade to CVS Emacs (some
> distributions offer it as emacs-snapshot or similar) which includes a
> more recent Gnus version and see it the problem persists?

That's awkward since it is my department account and they'd rather not
support things not in SuSE. (The 10.0 running on some other machines
is still only emacs 21.3/gnus 5.9)

> Else, can you send me one of the problematic mails as gzipped
> attachment (secret stuff x-ed out)?  If the problem also appears in
> news or mailing list article you could simply give us the Message-Id
> or the URL to an mbox file if available.

I can give it a try. Most likely I can reproduce with mail sent by
myself (which should help with the secrecy thing). The ones that bit
me earlier are gone from $MAIL for obvious reasons. Haven't seen it in
news.

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Ă˜ster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)                  FAX: (+45) 35327907