Re: How to recreate groups for nnml mail directory?

From: Rud1ger Sch1erz
Subject: Re: How to recreate groups for nnml mail directory?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:30:21 +0200

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> Is the old "active" file there?

Well, on this MS Windows XP pro installation this information seems to
be stored in the .newsrc.eld file. I've not found an active file.

> If so, you can copy your old mail dirs
> to ~/Mail (need check to avoid duplicate dir), and add content from old
> active file into your new active file. You can put all old mail dirs to
> a subdir (say oldback), and then you can edit old active file to add
> "oldback." to each group name, and then paste the content into new
> active file, and then you can browse these groups to move messages to
> other group(s) (using 'B m').

Sounds like a lot of work with more than 250 mail dirs. ;-)

I solved the problem now by editing the .newsrc.eld file:

- 'C-u ESC-x shell-command-on-region ls ~/Mail/mail'
  (to get listing of my email dirs into the .newsrc.eld file)

- now I wrote a keyboard macro to change the dirnames into group
  entries, eg.:

  adrian_otto

  ("nnml:mail.adrian_otto" 3 nil nil "nnml:")

- then I used apply-macro-to-region-lines to convert all lines with
  dirnames

That did the trick for me. But I still wonder, if there is a simple
gnus command to do this.

Cheers,
Rudiger