Re: Storing my .newsrc into IMAP?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Storing my .newsrc into IMAP?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:22:23 +0000

On 23 Nov 2006, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca wrote:

> I like IMAP's ability to keep all the info about my email (list of
> groups, list of messages I read, list of messages I marked, ...) at
> a single place, kept consistent, no matter which computer I use to
> read my email.
>
> Sadly, this is not the case for news, where each computer has its
> own .newsrc file.
>
> Has anyone tried to keep his .newsrc file under Tramp or something
> like that?  What about getting Gnus to store my .newsrc in a special
> folder on the IMAP server?

In theory Tramp could get an imap: method that would store a file in a
message on an IMAP server.  I tried to make this work but a chronic
shortage of time has impeded me.  If this worked, it would be nice for
.newsrc, .bbdb, and many other files.

My idea was to make the file name part of the subject line in some
standard format.  Multiple identical subject lines get sorted by date
and only the latest is used, providing a sort of version control
system.

Ted