Re: Learning gnus for email only

From: harel barzilai
Subject: Re: Learning gnus for email only
Date: 1 Jan 2007 20:41:50 -0800

Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 01 2007, harel barzilai wrote:
>
> > (I was somewhat relieved to find
> > http://www.cyphertext.net/~gfish/mrd/gnus-overview.html which stated,
> [...]
> > 1) Am I correct in my impression that I should NOT take the advice
> >    from the FAQ that
> >
> > ;; Q4.11 Using Gnus for mail and never news
>
> I already told you in the previous thread *not* to rely on the
> outdated FAQ.  The text of "gfish" refers to "Pterodactyl Gnus" (Gnus
> 5.8) as a "new" version of Gnus, so it is probably outdated as well.
>
> Please don't rely on random private web pages and consult the manual
> that comes with Gnus and the Gnus tutorial instead.
>
> Bye, Reiner.

Reiner, first, I thank you for the tutorial url, though which I am now
struggling to get through,
having earlier worked through other pages. Please note I was *not*
relying on "random
private web pages" for anything other than quoting him saying he, too,
was not
able to get enough information from
http://gnus.org/manual.html...luckly, again, I'm not
trying to follow the tutorial url instead, though looks like I will
still need to post a followup question
or two here after reading it..

As for the faq.org yes, that is clearly out of date...perhaps someone
can request they
either update or remove the out-dated gnus faq from their site? google
gives
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text as second hit for
"gnus faq" while
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/gnus-faq/ still comes out at #1, alas..