Re: incremental search and Umlauts

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: incremental search and Umlauts
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:29:34 +0200

On 2007-04-17, "Andreas Goesele" <goesele@hfph.mwn.de> wrote:

> When I do an incremental search in xemacs' gnus' summary window and
> use umlauts I get an error message (e.g. adiaeresis not defined) and
> the search doesn't.
>
> Some time ago I found/got a tip for simple key combination which would
> enable the use of umlauts during incremental search.

I don't know about a keyboard command, but I just played around a bit,
and the following code seems to work:

(mapc (lambda (key)
        (define-key isearch-mode-map key 'isearch-printing-char))
      '([(adiaeresis)] [(odiaeresis)] [(udiaeresis)] [(ssharp)]
        [(Adiaeresis)] [(Odiaeresis)] [(Udiaeresis)] [(section)]))

The problem seems to be that non-ASCII characters are not classified as
"printing" when using isearch in Gnus (even though it works in other
modes).  Note that you may still not find all occurrences of a certain
character in the summary buffer; this is likely caused by encoding
differences (Latin 1 vs. Latin 9, etc.).

HTH

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <mxp@dynalabs.de>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>