using a smtp server (not sendmail)

From: Uri Guttman
Subject: using a smtp server (not sendmail)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 20:37:48 GMT

is there any way to get emacs/gnus to use my isp's smtp server directly?
from what i can find it uses /usr/xxx/sendmail (which in my case is
provided by qmail). my problem really is that verizon fios outbound smtp
required authentication and qmail doesn't support that without a
patch. since outbound isn't an issue (i do use qmail for inbound just
fine) i thought i could bypass it inside emacs/gnus. only a few symbols
are found with smtp in them.

Uri Guttman  ------  address@hidden  --------
Search or Offer Perl Jobs  ----------------------------