Re: Hidden lines in the message body

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Hidden lines in the message body
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:51:24 +0900

> I' attaching a text file containing eight lines.  If I insert it in a message
> (e.g. with `C-x i') and then send the message, in the message body only the
> first and the fifth will be visible, the others won't.

> Can anybody explain why this happens and how to avoid it?

It is because of the MIME emulating feature of Gnus that is
enabled by default.  It splits peculiar sections, e.g. uuencoded
data, non-MIME forwarded messages, etc., in the message body into
MIME parts.  Your problem is a typical case that this feature
works unwillingly, that is,  Gnus misidentifies the
"------------------------------%<------------------------------"
lines as the separators of the `insert-marks' part (See mm-uu.el).

The MIME emulating feature works only when displaying articles.
So, your messages will never be broken even if they look funny
to the recipients who use Gnus.  But there is no way to avoid it
other than to ask the recipients to disable this feature.  To do
that:

(setq gnus-article-emulate-mime nil)

or

(eval-after-load "mm-uu"