Re: What's NOV? Should gnus-nov-is-evil be set to t?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: What's NOV? Should gnus-nov-is-evil be set to t?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:50:12 +0200

On Thu, Sep 13 2007, Leo wrote:

>>> Do you think this should go to the manual?'
>>
>> Isn't it enough?
>>
>> (info "(gnus)Terminology")
>> ,----
>> |"NOV"
>> |  When Gnus enters a group, it asks the back end for the headers of
>> |  all unread articles in the group.  Most servers support the News
>> |  OverView format, which is more compact and much faster to read and
>> |  parse than the normal HEAD format.
>> `----
[...]
> It is odd that it is not explained in the main text of the
> manual. Terminology is the last thing a user want to see.

Why?  If you are not familiar with a term, terminology is exactly the
right place to look at instead of some random node in the "main text".
There are dozens of nodes where the term NOV is mentioned.  Adding
such explanations in each node would be terrible.

I'd prefer to have (most of) the new text in (info
"(gnus)Terminology") and add references in (info "(gnus)Slow/Expensive
Connection").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,