Why is gnus-summary-insert-new-articles considered a limiting command?

From: Ferran Jorba
Subject: Why is gnus-summary-insert-new-articles considered a limiting command?
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:51:47 +0200

Hi Gnuers,

a while ago I learned that the fast (right? optimal?) way to update my
imap inbox is with gnus-summary-insert-new-articles (bound to `/ N').
However, I've noticed that gnus-summary-pop-limit (`/ w') reverts the
situation.  This is strange, moreover when I do some *real* limiting (by
subject or author) and then, when I pop those limits Gnus happily goes
back to the situation when I first updated my inbox with `/ N', maybe a
few hours ago.

Perhaps I'm not using the right command to update my inbox?  Which
should I use?  Or, why is gnus-summary-insert-new-articles considered a
limiting (instead of an updating) command, other than they appear in the
same page [1] of the manual?

Thanks,

Ferran

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Limiting.html