Gnus .newsrc problems

From: The Chief Instigator
Subject: Gnus .newsrc problems
Date: 08 Mar 2008 17:22:16 GMT

Here at io.com, the newsfeed was news.io.com, but last month it was
moved to news.twtelecom.net.  For some reason, my .newsrc seems to
think that some of my subscribed newsgroups have article numbers far
beyond the new news server's.  Even if I rip out the .newsrc, .newsrc.eld and
.newsrc.eld~, when I launch Gnus it regenerates a .newsrc with the
same problem.  I've already generated a new .newsrc by wading through
thousands of newsgroups and manually subscribing to the hundred or so
I'm interested in, and it worked the first time...then, the next
morning, some very active newsgroups had no traffic at all overnight,
and the .newsrc was back with the old .newsrc's range of article
numbers.  Is there any way of keeping this from happening?
(news.twtelecom.net is also aliased as news.io.com now, and I've
configured the nntp to both of them - not at the same time, of course
- and the same results occur no matter which one I point it at.
Unfortunately, PrismNet's tech support doesn't seem to have many
around who deal with Gnus.  I'm running Gnus 5.10.8 under xemacs 21.4.20.)

--
   Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (patrick@io.com)  Houston, Texas
    chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php  (TCI's 2007-08 Houston Aeros) AA#2273