Re: Can ping server, but not connect to it

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Can ping server, but not connect to it
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:20:31 +0100

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 07:43:34 +1100, Alasdair wrote:

> The title says it all; I can ping to the server news.mel.connect.com.au, and
> I've set gnus-select-method correctly; also gnus-nntp-server is set to nil.
> But every time I try to start gnus, I'm told I can't connect to the server.
> Does anybody know why this could be and how I can fix it?

Maybe you need permission to access that server from the servers owner?
When I try to access it, I get:

 $ telnet news.mel.connect.com.au nntp
 Trying 210.8.230.24...
 Connected to news-south.bur.connect.com.au.
 Escape character is '^]'.
 502 You have no permission to talk.  Goodbye.
 Connection closed by foreign host.
 $

What happens if you telnet to it on the nntp port?

  Best regards,

--
 "You know, if the sun was an oboe, what would you do?"       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk