Re: gnus sharing between Linux and Windows - colon/underscore problem

From: Sven Hansen
Subject: Re: gnus sharing between Linux and Windows - colon/underscore problem
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:09:57 +0200

* Sven Hansen <noemail@please.invalid> schrieb:

> This appeared to work, but soon I was facing an annoying problem: vfat
> doesn't accept a colon (   :   ) in file names or directory names!
> An underscore (    _    ) is possible, though.
>
> Thus group names such as:
> nntp+news.gnus.org:gnus.ding
> are not possible, in cygwin they appear as:
> nntp+news.gnus.org_gnus.ding
>
> Which means, they get an underscore instead of a colon.
>
> If I try to open such groups in Linux, however (using an ext3 file
> system there), I get an "invalid group" error message! I have to edit
> the group properties and replace the colon by an underscore.

Reply to my own question:

After extended searching with "apropos" using search expressions like
"group-name" or "name" OR "colon" etc. I found a working solution:

I had to set this in my .gnus (needed for cygwin, but normally not for Linux):

(setq nnheader-file-name-translation-alist '((?: . ?_)))

As one can see, " : " is replaced by " _ " in file names.

Hopefully, nothing else will break now.

Sven