Re: nnmaildir don't get new email with gnus-group-get-new-news

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: nnmaildir don't get new email with gnus-group-get-new-news
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 15:07:33 -0600

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:05:42 -0800 (PST) Pedro Kröger <pedro.kroger@gmail.com>
wrote:

PK> On Nov 4, 1:58 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> I don't know if there are extensions to this standard, but this is
>> pretty definitive so I don't think it's a Gnus bug.

PK> So, why gnus ignore directories that start with periods? (from the
PK> manual) and gnus dont have a problem reading the directories I have,
PK> the only problem is to re-read the list of emails. in fact the only
PK> way to update the email list is to re-start emacs.

I don't know.  So you have mails like this:

~/Maildir -> top level
~/Maildir/inbox -> fetched mail

And Gnus, using nnmaildir, is not refreshing the list of articles in the
inbox?

I have a very similar setup and it works fine, without offlineimap.
Could offlineimap be doing something to the article flags or moving them
around that would confuse Gnus?

As far as the directory/folder names, I guess Gnus is not conformant
with the Maildir++ format.  I didn't realize that earlier, sorry, but I
see the problem now.  I don't know how to fix it, though it seems like a
simple matter of accepting directory names that start with a period
except for ".nnmaildir".

Since nnmaildir accepts symlinks, you could just link every folder name
from .ABC to ABC after running offlineimap.  That might be a good
compromise.

Ted