Re: unreadable message

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: unreadable message
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:29:42 +0100

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 05:22:17 +1000, Alexey wrote:

>> I am not sure this is a bug in Gnus - from what you have presented so
>> far, it sounds like lack of MIME support in your friends' programmes.

> This is very unlikely. Usually, famous web mail services (e.g. google,
> yahoo, yandex, hotmail) have proper MIME support. However, my Gnus
> produces these unreadable messages, some of which I cannot read myself
> even after decoding, as I already said.

If you have one of these unreadable messages (that does not contain
anything secret you shouldn't reveal), I suggest you post it to the
list, so developers can look at it.

Saying "sometimes it doesn't work" doesn't give them much to work on :-)

>> ,----[ C-h v mm-content-transfer-encoding-defaults RET ]

>> You can change the value of this variable if you don't want Gnus to
>> choose between quoted-printable and base64 automatically.

> Well, that's all fine, but what's really happening is that users
> may type cyrillic (utf8), hit (C-c C-c) and the result may be either
> readable or unreadable or readable after decoding.

Please show us an an example.

> We don't know that beforehand and I think we need not because the MUA
> is expected to do that consistently. If it doesn't, I presume that to
> be a bug.

I would expect Gnus to choose the same encoding for two identical
emails. For two different emails, you can't be sure - see the
documentation of the above mentioned variable.

> What do you think?

I won't say you're wrong, but an example would make your case much more
convincing :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "For the fireengines                                         Adam Sjøgren
  But they were all upside down"                         asjo@koldfront.dk