Re: Gnus hangs after "Quickly checking mailbox INBOX" for way too long

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Gnus hangs after "Quickly checking mailbox INBOX" for way too long
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:27:28 +0100

Sébastien Vauban <zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com>
writes:

Hi Sébastien,

> I want to come back on this old thread launched by someone else:
>
>     ,----[ nnimap slow on checking huge mailboxes? ]

[...]

> ... still having the same problem with No Gnus v0.9 under GNU Emacs
> 23.0.60.1 (in Ubuntu 8.04) with the email server being Courier,
> located on a 1 Gbps LAN connection.
>
> Checking for new mails takes a very, very long time, to the contrary
> of what's being said ("Quickly checking...").

I run a local dovecot imap server here, and even with my big emacs-devel
group (16.000+ messages) checking for new messages finishes instantly.

Are you sure that the slowness comes from Gnus and not Courier?  Maybe
test with another client.

If the problem is Gnus, then set imap-debug, imap-log, and nnimap-debug
to t and look in the log/debug buffers what Gnus is doing all the time.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee. Except Chuck Norris.