Re: GNUS and imap

From: Andreas Most
Subject: Re: GNUS and imap
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:24:24 +0100

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Andreas Most <Andreas.Most@nospam.invalid> writes:
>
>> kjonca@poczta.onet.pl (Kamil Jońca) writes:

>>> [...snip...]
>>> I think that is something wrong rather with gnus, because folders are
>>> visible with thunderbird and Mutt, and only gnus can't see
>>> them. (Browse server can't see them also) :(
>>
>> I found the following in some forum thread (but can't remember where):
>> Add a function to your .gnus.el
>>
>> (defun gnus-browse-imaps-server (server)
>>         "Browse a mail server in Gnus via IMAP-SSL."
>>         (interactive "sServer name: ")
>>         (gnus-group-browse-foreign-server
>>           (list 'nnimap server
>>              (list 'nnimap-address server)
>>              '(nnimap-stream ssl)
>>              '(nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "mail/*" "Mail/*" "INBOX.*"))
>>              '(nnimap-expunge-on-close ask))))
>>
>> I have actually changed the list pattern to ("*" "*/*") which works for
>> Google Mail. After calling M-x gnus-browse-imaps-server you will be
>> asked for the server. You will then get a list of folders to which you
>> can subscribe.
>>
>> Andreas.
>>
>> --
>> AndreasDotMostAtGmailDotCom
>
> Is this server specific? I have only
>
>        gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mymail"
>                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                                  (nnimap-address "imap.myserver.net")
>                                  (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
>                                  (nnir-search-engine imap))
>
> And it works fine (emacs 23).

I have started with Gnus only recently, so I am not yet familiar with
all the features. As of my understanding it is only possible to browse
the server specified in the gnus-select-method but not in the
gnus-secondary-select-methods. Moreover, with the above method it is
possible to add folders from different imap services for the poor people
(like me) who have several email accounts.

Andreas.

--
AndreasDotMostAtGmailDotCom