Re: Emacs/Gnus: About simple after things :-) [was: GNUS and imap]

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: Emacs/Gnus: About simple after things :-) [was: GNUS and imap]
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:15:52 -0400

on Wed Mar 18 2009, Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi-AT-onet.eu> wrote:

> David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>
>> on Tue Mar 17 2009, Richard Riley <rileyrgdev-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is this server specific? I have only
>>>
>>>        gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mymail"
>>>                                (nnimap-stream ssl)
>>>                                (nnimap-address "imap.myserver.net")
>>>                                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
>>>                                (nnir-search-engine imap))
>>
>> I've been doing something like that for years, and I use dovecot, and it
>> works.  I wonder what's tripping up the OP.
>
> IMHO Emacs/Gnus is full of "simple *after*" things/traps especially for
> "Learn It Yourself" path :-)

100% Agreed.  The docs don't paint a clear architectural picture of the
system, and nnimap is prone to confusing behavior, especially when used
with the agent, if you have other mail clients.  Still, it's better than
anything else I can find.  I just wish I really understood it.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing