Re: gnus scoring insanity

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: gnus scoring insanity
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:07:45 +0200

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:45:08 -0600, notbob@bb.nothome.com wrote:

>> I use scoring very simply: To not see articles from people I've becomed
>> tired of.

> Feel free to include me.

I thought about using you as the example, but decided against it. Apart
from your tone of voice, your input is valuable, I think.

>> To this purpose, I have a single file, called ~/News/all.SCORE, which
>> contains this¹:

> Interesting.  Was I supposed to manually create the all.SCORE file?

You seemed not to like to use the commands in Gnus, so I described how I
use it. There is more than one way to do it.

> If so, this has become a major issue, it not being a first time I've
> created necessary files. Problem is, I've yet to find one word of
> instruction in the gnus manual that I should create any files and what
> and where those files should be named/located.

You can if you want to - if you don't you can use the commands listed in
the manual.

>> But I guess that was in the half you skipped.

> Oooh... you can be a bit salty too.  ;)

;-)

>>> "The current score file is by default the group's local score file,
>>> even if no such score file actually exists. To insert score commands
>>> into some other score file (e.g. `all.SCORE'), you must first make
>>> this score file the current one."

>> Which part of that paragraph is unclear to you?

> All of it!  What current score file?

The score file that is currently in use, is how I interpret it.

> Does it have an actual name and location?

That depends on whether it exists, as it says above. If it doesn't, it
doesn't have a name and location until created.

> Does gnus create it or am I supposed to guess about that issue again?

Depends on what you want, I guess.

> If I am, I need to know the file name to create and where. I don't.

So, use the commands in the manual.

> Same questions for the local score file. "some other score file"? I
> don't want possible examples, I need concrete information. Last but
> not least, what is "this" score file?

Some other score file you want the score commands inserted into rather
than the current, whether it exists or not.

> The whole paragraph is useless.

That's a very broad statement. To you, yes. To me, it kind of almost
makes sense.

> Near as I can tell, some unnamed default score file is actually some
> other unnamed score file, EVEN IF NO SUCH SCORE FILE EXISTS!! That's a
> killer, that one. Lastly, to insert commands into SOME OTHER(!)
> unnamed score file, you must first make THIS OTHER SCORE FILE (????)
> "the current one". Who's on first!?

Reference manuals are boring to write. I think it's okay to inject some
fun into it.

>> In ~/News/, unless you ask Gnus to put them somewhere else (by setting
>> gnus-kill-files-directory²).

> I'll hafta do that, as that exact same file name and dir is used by
> slrn, which I still have in case I lose my gnus mind.

If it confuses slrn then, yeah, better move them.

>> They were probably obvious to the author at the time.

> Or they were on drugs.  ;)

Written many reference manuals, have you? :-)

>> Which terms are the ones you consider 'proprietary'?!

> All the ones having to do with emacs which I don't know the meaning of.

What does 'proprietary' signify in that context?

> Don't take my rants personally.  I sometimes get frustrated, but still
> slog on.

Ditto. I'm sure you would get less annoying replies if you wrote less
annoying rants.

    ;-),

     Adam

--
 "They were trying to make me an insider to some kind         Adam Sjøgren
  of trip they were on. I don't think so."               asjo@koldfront.dk