Re: Replying without In-Reply-To/References

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Replying without In-Reply-To/References
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:09:27 +0300

Let's quote my original message properly here:

On 2009-06-22 11:28 (-0400), John A Pershing Jr wrote:

> Ummm... Why would you want to do this in the first place? To make it
> hard for other people to follow the thread?
>
> Those header fields are there for a (very good) reason!

I'm not criticizing the purpose of those headers nor making it
deliberately hard to follow discussions. The point of my question is
that sometimes a message has some minor side notes which don't belong to
the context of the thread at all. A person may raise completely new
discussion from such side note, and if it's completely off-topic it may
actually be easier for everyone if the discussion is split (perhaps
quoting a little). Sometimes changing the "Subject" header is better
choice, sometimes maybe not.

It's very rare that I do this and I can't remember when was the last
time. But it would be nice to know how to do this with Gnus anyway. Not
a big thing, though. It's always easy to start a new thread and perhaps
write a note like "<Person> made an interesting side note in <thread>
and I'd like to discuss..."