Re: Any way of skipping failed groups?

From: Paul Mead
Subject: Re: Any way of skipping failed groups?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 08:02:55 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 07:55:47 +0100 Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> PM> However I've had situations recently where it just dumps me out to the
> PM> initial splash screen with buffer named as *Group*, but with no groups!
> PM> Any keys typed just echo on the splash screen. There's an error in the
> PM> minibuffer (something about a date format) but I can't get to my mail.
>
> You need to switch to the *Messages* buffer with `C-x b' and see the
> error.  Gnus is failing to start up so there's not much I can do to
> help without some more information.
>
> Ted

Whatever was happening was transitory, as I thought - the error did look
as if it was just a badly-formed message causing it. It looks like
either the message was fixed or it's not in the feed any more. In any
case the error has gone. I can't recall the exact error message but it
implied an incorrectly formed date.

This is why not having some sort of ability to skip over errors in a
group is quite frustrating - I don't always have time to get into
debugging or asking questions about a particular bug but a simple
message error can lock me out from the whole app - not very resilient.