Re: Persistent article

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: Persistent article
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:19:39 -0400

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Sep 25, 11:16 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 01:20:16 -0700 (PDT) Francis Moreau
>> <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> FM> So is the behaviour I described sooner the correct one ? If so what
>> FM> the point of persistent article ? otherwise what did I miss ?
>>
>> I think you should use the tick mark (`!') instead.
>
> Well, no, since I want to _save_ the article.
>
>> Persistent IIUC
>> means that it will stick around even if the server expires it, but not
>> that it will show up all the time.
>
> I really miss something but, I just want to save some articles and it
> seems to me that making an article persistent is just a good way to
> achieve that: I can mark some articles in any news groups and if I
> want to (re)read them later, I just enter in the group and limit the
> summary buffer to persistent articles...
>
> But what the point of persistent articles if they're saved, but gnus
> doesn't show them all the time !?

Make sure gnus-use-cache is set to t and that gnus-cache-enter-articles
includes the symbol "ticked". E.g.,

(setq gnus-use-cache t)
(setq gnus-cache-enter-articles '(ticked dormant))

Then, provided you've set gnus-cacheable-groups correctly, anytime you
mark an item as ticked (!), it will also be added to the cache. That way
a single keystroke will make the article: (1) permanently visible and
(2) persistent.

As Adam pointed out, persistence and visibility are not connected by
default, because many people want to save articles without keeping them
visible. But you can easily combine persistence and visibility with the
settings above.

The manual spells this all out quite nicely:

-
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Article-Caching.html#Article-Caching

-
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Persistent-Articles.html#Persistent-Articles

Furthermore, since your cached articles are just a bunch of nnml groups,
another way to read them is to create a virtual server:

-
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Creating-a-Virtual-Server.html

Regards,
Matt