Re: Problem with maildir as backend

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Problem with maildir as backend
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 14:48:56 -0500

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 21:03:46 +0200 "Wolfgang Pausch" <wolfgang.pausch@gmx.net>
wrote:

WP> thanks for your help, however I not yet figured out what's wrong with my
WP> setup.

WP> Thanks.  When I enter the server buffer and hit RET on the nnmaildir
>> server, I get an empty buffer called Gnus Browse Server.
>>
>> Something is wrong with the server setup then, it thinks you don't have
>> any subdirectories in that Maildir.  Does the ".mail.misc" Maildir
>> directory exist under the Maildir root of that server?

WP> Just to make it clear for me: Is the server directory the directory given
in the secondary select method, so in my case

WP> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnmaildir "" (directory
"~/maildir"))))

WP> ~/maildir would be the Maildir root of that server?

Sorry for the delay in answering.

Yes.  You may want to give a name to this server, though.  That may be
triggering bugs in Gnus.  Can you change that to a full name,
e.g. "mymail", and try to find the misc group again?

WP> I also tried moving .newsrc.eld to a backup, apt-get remove emacs22,
WP> apt-get install emacs22.  gnus is part of the emacs22 package on my
WP> system.  When I first exited gnus, it generated a new .newsrc.eld,
WP> however, this didn't help either.

WP> Am I right, that after the installation of emacs/gnus, it must
WP> execute some code for setting up things like the mail.misc group?
WP> If yes, is this code written in lisp, and do you know where the
WP> starting point is.

Gnus itself doesn't set it up, it just records its existence if the
maildir already existed.

You can use `B c' on an article to copy it to a new Maildir inside an
existing nnmaildir server.  For example, if your server is nnmaildir+x
and you have no group "test" you could copy to "nnmaildir+x:test" and
Gnus will both create the group and record its existence.  This is a
good way to find out what's wrong with your setup: just copy to a new
group and see where (if at all) it shows up.

Ted