Re: Reconvering a whole thread

From: Alberto Luaces
Subject: Re: Reconvering a whole thread
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:39:46 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:50:35 +0200 Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
>
> AL> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> AL> while reading a nnimap folder, sometimes I want to recover the whole
> AL> thread for the message I'm reading. I am currently using "A T", that is,
> AL> gnus-summary-refer-thread, but nothing happens except the displaying of
> AL> "Generating summary...done". Am I doing this correctly?

> AL> No, it doesn't. If I do that with your message, a message is shown:
>>>
> AL> Couldn't fetch article
> AL> <mailman.8857.1255595790.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
>>>
> AL> However if I list all the messages with `/o', the parent is there.
>>>
>>> Are you sure the parent has the right message ID, as you saw and
>>> reprinted above?  If yes, can you post the Message-ID header of the
>>> parent please?
>>>
>>> If everything matches, we may have to debug the IMAP exchange and the
>>> contents of the newsgroup data, so let's hope this is a mismatch
>>> somewhere else.
>
> AL> The Message-ID of the parent (my first post) was

> AL> and the headers from your first reply were

> AL> So it seems that Gnus does the threading correctly but it is not able to
> AL> figure how to retrieve the ancestors of the same message.
>
> Interesting.
>
> Hmm, the references don't match.  The mail-to-news gateway seems to be
> setting the message ID on its own but your storage (nnimap) keeps the
> message with the original message ID.
>
> I am using the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup over NNTP, though.  Is there an
> example of a pure e-mail exchange where looking up the parent is
> failing for you?

I did a test sending me replies to my own messages. In fact, nnimap is
unable to get the parent of any message, no matter if it comes from one
of the mailing lists I'm susbscribed or not. This is while getting
messages from a Zimbra server account.

I did the same test with my gmail account, and there nnimap can retrieve
the parent message with `^', but nevertheless, the whole thread is not
shown if I press `A T'.

What can I do to advance in order to debug this issue?

Alberto