Re: gnus-dired does not use gnus anymore bug or feature

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: gnus-dired does not use gnus anymore bug or feature
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:39:56 +0900

Hi,

I am the very man who changed gnus-dired.el.

> Hello

> In ngnus-0.11 gnus-dired behaved as I expected, after marking a file in
> dired and using gnus-dired-attach a gnus message buffer popped up with
> the file in question attached.

> Not so in recent gnus-cvs. When I use  gnus-dired-attach
> VM is started. [1]

No problem here.  `gnus-dired-attach' gets `gnus-msg-mail' started
because:

(get gnus-dired-mail-mode 'composefunc)
 => gnus-msg-mail

In my case, the value of `gnus-dired-mail-mode' is `gnus-user-agent'
that is the default.

> Now I looked at gnus-dired.el and there is the following change

>       (if (eq gnus-dired-mail-mode 'gnus-user-agent)
>           (gnus-setup-message 'message (message-mail))
>         ;; FIXME: Is this the right thing?
>         (compose-mail))

It calls the `gnus-setup-message' macro directly, whereas

> is changed to
>       (let ((mail-user-agent gnus-dired-mail-mode)
>             ;; A workaround to prevent Gnus from displaying the Gnus
>             ;; logo when invoking this command without loading Gnus.
>             ;; Gnus demonstrates it when gnus.elc is being loaded if
>             ;; a command of which the name is prefixed with "gnus"
>             ;; causes that autoloading.  See the code in question,
>             ;; that is the one first found in gnus.el by performing
>             ;; `C-s this-command'.
>             (this-command (if (eq gnus-dired-mail-mode 'gnus-user-agent)
>                               'gnoose-dired-attach
>                             this-command)))
>         (compose-mail))

it always calls `compose-mail' which invokes a certain mail
command according to the value of `mail-user-agent'.  Note that
`mail-user-agent' is bound to the value of `gnus-dired-mail-mode'
of which the defalut value is `gnus-user-agent' in that case.
By default `gnus-user-agent' is configured so that `gnus-msg-mail',
the mail command of Gnus, may be called.  I improved Gnus's mail
command so as to work as a `mail-user-agent' (i.e., a servant of
`compose-mail'), and then changed that code.

> And that does not work as expected. So I can undo that change but I
> would like to hear opinions about this recent change.

I doubt you've changed the mail command of `gnus-user-agent' so
that it calls VM's mail command.  In your init file don't you
have something like this?

(put 'gnus-user-agent 'composefunc 'vm-something-something)