Re: How to get value of parameter in macro

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: How to get value of parameter in macro
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 17:49:30 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> CW> I am trying my first stab at macro's. I want to define key bindings to a
> CW> jump to a group. I tried something like:
> CW>     (defmacro gnus-group-jump-bind (key-binding group-to-jump-to)
> CW>       (define-key gnus-group-mode-map key-binding
> CW>         (lambda ()
> CW>           (interactive)
> CW>           (gnus-group-jump-to-group group-to-jump-to))))
>
> CW>     (gnus-group-jump-bind "vjd" "nndraft:drafts")
>
> CW> The key binding is okay, but the lambda function not. This becomes:
> CW>     (lambda nil (interactive) (gnus-group-jump-to-group group-to-jump-to))
>
> CW> instead of:
> CW>     (lambda nil (interactive) (gnus-group-jump-to-group "nndraft:drafts"))
>
> CW> What do I need to do to get the value of group-to-jump-to instead of the
> CW> string?
>
> Read the manual section on macros again, and again, and again.  It
> really takes a while.  You are trying to find the , interpolation
> marker, e.g. ",group-to-jump-to" will become "nndraft:drafts" but again
> you should read the manual very thoroughly.

Found it:
    (defmacro gnus-group-jump-bind (key-binding group-to-jump-to)
      `(define-key gnus-group-mode-map ,key-binding
        (lambda ()
          (interactive)
          (gnus-group-jump-to-group ,group-to-jump-to))))

When you know it, it is not difficult.

But I am still not out of the woods.
Instead of using:
    (gnus-group-jump-bind "vjd" "nndraft:drafts")

I want to do something like:
    (gnus-group-jump-bind this-key this-group)

But that does not work because the macro then does not receive a string,
but a symbol. I tried to work with symbol-value, but that did not work.
If you -or someone else- has another pointer ...

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer