Re: How to find José?

From: Damian
Subject: Re: How to find José?
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:01:43 +0200

I answer to myself in case it can be helpful to somebody.

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I store all my work email using the nnml backend. There are search
> engines to search through my email, but the problem comes when I
> search for words containing utf-8 characters: there's no way to find
> words such as "José", "mañana", "abraço", or "geëvalueerd".
>
> I found in the web that namazu supports utf8 (unlike swish-e), but so
> far I haven't succeeded. Moreover, namazu do not indexes words in the
> body of the messages.
Nope, namazu doesn't offer utf8 support.

> Is there a workaround? What do you use to search through your mails in gnus?
The solution I found was to use dovecot as a local imap server.
Dovecot indexes your mails and allows you to search them using the
imap search function (which is called through gnus). The only drawback
is that you cannot use regular expressions and the search is not as
fast as with the other search engines (but it is better than using the
microsoft exchange server they use at work).

I hope this may help somebody,
Damian.

PS: I wonder how many people is actually reading this list. My guess:
number_of_people_using_gnus / 3.1416.