Re: gnutls windows smtp

From: Paul Bibbings
Subject: Re: gnutls windows smtp
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:47:38 -0000

Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:

> Hugh <hu.lawson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Please point me to simple directions for using the
>> gmail smtp server, by means of gnutls, from emacs gnus
>> to send mail, in the Windows XP operating system.  I am
>> using this emacs: GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>
> [ snip ]
>
> Perhaps this cannot be done. Does anybody know?

Hi Hugh

I remember that I wasn't able to get this working when I tried back in
January.  My setup was (and still is) GNU Emacs 23.1.1
(i386-mingw-nt6.0.6002) on Windows Vista.  (Having said that, I have
recently upgraded my Gnus to version v0.11, but the problems I was
encountering were focussed in the Emacs mail package outside of Gnus).
I was experimenting both with a version of gnutls from my Cygwin
installation, and another that, IIRC, I built myself from source.

I did some debugging (see
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/d561d7cc266a2336/74092c866822bc04)
and it seemed that a particular section of code was skipping sending a
STARTTLS even though the Google smtp server was publishing STARTTLS as
available.  At the time I couldn't see that there was any way around the
issue without modifying Emacs source, and I don't know Lisp that well.

In the end I had to run through various old e-mail subscriptions that I
had accumulated to see if I could find one that permitted use of its
smtp server with any from address.   I was lucky, and found one.

My best assessment - though I didn't go into it that deeply - is that
Gmail's smtp server is sending its EHLO response in form that, in some
way, Emacs' smtpmail is a little confused by.

Having given up on it myself, if you do get this working, I would love
to know the solution too.

Good luck!

Regards

Paul Bibbings