Re: [OT] Gnus and MTA(local)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: [OT] Gnus and MTA(local)
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:43:33 -0000

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:26:48 +0200 Andreas <xxtjaxx@googlemail.com> wrote:

A> Sorry for the first followup was my fault.
A> Anyway. QMail is something you really really really dont want to
A> consider in any way. Its buggy its creepy and I was informed by several
A> sources that its code and feature set are all based on _PATCHES_ that
A> YOU as a user have to put into it. As an analogy: Vanilla QMail will
A> make you feel like 1980s all over again. No features like mail bounce or
A> anything.

Heh, I've run qmail at two mid-size organizations.  It was quite good
(the qmail-ldap distribution specifically) in the early 2000s.
Definitely not something I would recommend for an end user, though.

I think "buggy" is not an adequate word to describe qmail.  In fact in
my experience it was rock-solid and nearly impossible to break.  Do you
have specifics?

A> Exim I suspect is fine.

It's OK but I definitely like Postfix more for a leaf node (from the
standpoing of the end user).  Even for a small organization Postfix is
adequate IMO.

Ted