Email I send no longer gets through?

From: Bill Harris
Subject: Email I send no longer gets through?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:45:03 -0000

Sometime in the last month, email I send no longer seems to get to its
destination (I seem to receive email sent to me just fine).  I have no
idea whether that's universally the case nor the exact date it started,
but it seems to have been around July 21 or later.

I normally send email from Gnus, and I've been using this for ages.  I
did switch from Ubuntu Lucid to Debian Lenny July 3, but email seems to
have worked for about 3 weeks thereafter.  (I do see that Synaptic
reports an update to Emacs 22 on July 24.)

I tunnel email over SSH, but `nc localhost 25' and 'nc localhost 110'
both return results that make me think I'm getting through to my Web
host, where my normal email server is (at least the results are the same
as I recall seeing for the last few years).

At this point, was beginning to worry that my email address had been
blacklisted (and a colleague did graciously send me a spamcop report,
which I admit to not fully understanding yet).

Yet when I send email from my Web host's Webmail client, all seems okay.
I might think that email from Webmail and from my MUA would end up
having similar headers, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any tips on where to start troubleshooting?  I posted a request to the
Gnus IRC channel but got no response.

FWIW, I'm running Gnus v5.11, GNU Emacs 22.2.1, and Debian Lenny with a
2.6.26 kernel.

Thanks,

Bill
--
Bill Harris                  http://makingsense.facilitatedsystems.com/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA