Customize gnus: X-Now-Playing

From: Stinky Wizzleteet
Subject: Customize gnus: X-Now-Playing
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:44:44 -0000

Hi all,
another journal entry for my gnus costomization, today it's the
X-Now-Playing header you can see up there.

>From the EmacsWiki (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XNowPlayingHeader)
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; start .gnus edit
(defun mak-insert-x-now-playing ()
   "Insert the title of the song I'm currently listening to."
   (interactive)
   (if (string-match "." (shell-command-to-string (expand-file-name
"/usr/bin/xmms_np")))
       (shell-command-to-string (expand-file-name "/usr/bin/xmms_np"))))
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; stop

xmms_np is a custom program that reads the now playing song from xmms.
I'm using Rhythmbox, things turned out to be even easier:
replace all instances of /usr/bin/xmms-np with:
"/usr/bin/rhythmbox-client --print-playing"
Rhytmbox has a cli client that comes in handy.

posting stlye:
insert this in your subsequent posting styles:
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; start .gnus edit
("X-Now-Playing" mak-insert-x-now-playing)

Come to think of it, I think I'll trot off to make some keybindings for
rhythmbox-client

--
Stinky Wizzleteet thinks:
You are taking yourself far too seriously.