Re: Noob seeks help with splitting and spam

From: Jim Burton
Subject: Re: Noob seeks help with splitting and spam
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:46:34 -0000

Jim Burton <jim@sdf-eu.org> writes:

> Hi, I've just started with Gnus, and I'm confused about the whole
> splitting business and how I can use that to deal with spam. I decided,
> somewhat arbitrarily, that I should use bogofilter. So I read the wiki
> page about setting it up with gnus and the other resources I could find
> on the subject, installed  bogofilter and so far I have this in ~/.gnus:
>
> (require 'spam)
> (require 'gnus-bogofilter)
> (setq spam-use-bogofilter t
>       spam-split-group "spam")
> (spam-initialize)
> (setq nnmail-split-fancy '(| (: spam-split)))
>
> Finally, I presumed this required me to make a group called "spam", so I
> did (with U "spam"), but I can't select that group as I get "couldn't
> activate group".  As I understand it, I should now be able to use C-c g
> s on a message to mark it as spam and move it into my "spam" folder?
> Doing that doesn't seem to have any effect.

In fact it *does* have an effect. When I leave the summary page after
marking something as spam or ham I get a message "applying spam rules",
and the messages marked as spam are moved, or at least are not displayed
to me when I enter that group again. Where is the spam being "moved" to,
if anywhere, and if I train bogofilter in this way will my current setup
start to detect spam and move it to the same place before I even see it?
Obviously, this is how I'd like it work, and I also want to check for
false positives once it does.

Thanks,

Jim

--