Re: Multiple sources and accounts with GNUS

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: Multiple sources and accounts with GNUS
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:39:44 +0100

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:21:37 +0100, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>>> Looking at the trace buffer of my last SMTP session, that uses
>>> STARTTLS, too.  I have the credentials for the server in
>>> ~/.authinfo.gpg and didn't setup anything special about how to use
>>> STARTTLS...
>>
>> In my case, LOGIN is only advertised after STARTTLS, maybe that makes
>> some difference?
>
> Hm, dunno.  I have to admit, that I don't really have a clue about the
> SMTP protocol an STARTTLS, but that's a snippet from my SMTP trace
> buffer.
>
> 220 deliver.uni-koblenz.de ESMTP Postfix
> EHLO thinkpad
> 250-deliver.uni-koblenz.de
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-SIZE 70000000
> 250-VRFY
> 250-ETRN
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN

After trying some more, it seems that smtpmail is *not* making a secured
connection with STARTTLS at all.

(setq
  send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
  message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
  smtpmail-debug-info t smtpmail-debug-verb t
  smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.x" 25 "x" nil))
  smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.x", 25, nil, nil))
  smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.x")

Anything missing? (yes, gnutls-cli is present and working).