Re: my vs maildir

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: my vs maildir
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 21:02:54 +0100

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Possibly you could post your set up? I am a little confused now. You are
>> running a local Dovecot? (on your machine or on a local server?).
>>
> .emacs:
> (setq imap-shell-program
>   '("MAIL=maildir:$HOME/Mail /usr/lib/dovecot/imap"))
>
> .gnus:
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '(("Mail:.*" ;"^nnimap\\+Mail:INBOX"
>          (gcc-self . t))))
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "Mail" (nnimap-stream shell))))
>
> those are the relevant parts to getting in with dovecot. there is no
> dovecot running now which it was doing before and i had access to it
> through .authinfo and my personal login data.
>
>> You then also don't need nnmairix. You can use dovecot's own indexing
>> via nnir.
>>
> i tried that last night, but haven't gotten it to work yet though it
> looks pretty straight-forward to me. i may post questions later if i'm
> not successful. however, i rather like mairix as indicated in my mairix
> problems post and it may be more suitable as my emails grow - just
> haven't gotten that to work fully either.

I doubt it will be since dovecot does the indexing for you as mails are
added. Mairix is then yet another piece in the jigsaw - I used to use it
but if Dovecot can index why not use that? Here's an extract from my
dovecot.conf : this iis the thing that provides the indexing.

,----

`----

>> You saying  "imap without running a server" is the bit that throws me.
>>
> ya that's the neat idea brett provided. it seems i can use imap from
> dovecot without having a daemon running.

Why would you do that? The overhead of Dovecot running is pretty
low. Doing it that way you incur the overhead of startup. With it being
a server other programs like offlineimap can then talk to it when
fetching your email and then storing it locally in dovecot for your
email client to retrieve using imap.

Just some other ideas you might consider.