Re: Hierarchical group names - component separator

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Hierarchical group names - component separator
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 15:03:05 +0100

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

Hi Tommy,

> Can anyone see a problem with using "/" us the separator of components
> in a hierarchical group name. For example, instead of:
>
> mylists.linkedin.updates
> mylists.linkedin.groups.gnus
> mylists.linkedin.groups.yaks
>
> I'd use:
>
> mylists/linkedin/updates
> mylists/linkedin/groups/gnus
> mylists/linkedin/groups/yaks

I think, Gnus shows the separator which your imap provider advertises.
I have 3 different IMAP accounts in Gnus: two use `/' as separator, and
the other one uses `.'.

> The reason is that gmail supports "folding" of the latter style.  My
> concern though is that somewhere deep in the current or planned lisp,
> using "/" will break something.

I also have a gmail account, and there `/' is used as separator.  So I'd
use that as separator when creating new folders in that account.

> If it's currently allowed, then maybe take this email as a
> pointing-out of the fact that gmail *does* indeed support use of "/"
> and so it would be nice if it remained allowed in the future :-)

What makes you think someone's going to forbid it?

Bye,
Tassilo