Re: read mail in mbox files

From: Peter Münster
Subject: Re: read mail in mbox files
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:35:23 +0100

ernest <nfdisco@gmail.com> writes:

> This is my setup: I use fetchmail to get mail from
> different POP/IMAP servers, then split the incoming
> mail with procmail into different mbox files in ~/Mail.
> What I'd like is gnus to work directly on these mbox
> files. Is this possible?

Perhaps yes. But it's not recommended. Gnus does not use any locking like
sendmail or procmail, so whenever new mail arrives at the same time as
Gnus is working on the mbox, you'll get problems.

> What backend do I need?
> I'd say I don't even want a backend, because I don't
> want to copy mail anywhere!

You can use the mbox backend and tell procmail to save all incoming
messages in ~/.mail/*.spool. Then you set

(setq mail-sources '((file) (directory :path "~/.mail"))

and you'll get mbox files in ~/Mail for every spool file in ~/.mail
Just be sure, that only Gnus works on the files in ~/Mail.

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/