Re: Newsgroup caching

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: Re: Newsgroup caching
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:12:53 -0000

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> What you see is the normal behavior.  You need to use `c' to catch up
> with the group and mark all the articles as read (or hit `d'
> individually but that will take a while).  Then the read articles won't
> show up in the summary and Gnus won't need to get their headers.

Ah, OK.  Now I understand.  I probably would have noticed this sooner
had I not set `gnus-parameters' to '((".*" (display . all))) for my
IMAP folders.  I have changed the regexp there to "^nnimap", which is
what I wanted in the first place.  And now that I have not told Gnus to
always get *all* messages, it will only get unread messages, unless there
are no new messages, in which case it asks me how many old messages to
get.

Thank you very much for clarifying this.
--Aidan