Re: Tags in Emacs.

From: William Gardella
Subject: Re: Tags in Emacs.
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 16:28:05 -0400

Dmitrii Kashin <freehck@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello. I am WMII user. This is a window manager wich have tags,
> i.e. configuration of windows. In other words tag is an abstract thing,
> which keeps in mind how to split workspace, and what program should be
> shown in each part of it.
>
> I think it's very useful thing. I want the same in Emacs. Is there some
> realizations of this functional?

Sorry about that.

As I was saying...I have enjoyed wmii in the past, and two add-on
packages offering a similar functionality to wmii tags are
`workgroups'[1] and `elscreen'[2].  These can offer rules-based
configurations that persist across sessions, like wmii tags.  Emacs also
has builtin the `window-configuration-to-register' function, C-x r w,
which you can restore with C-x r j.  This is more for quick context
changes, though, and it doesn't persist easily across sessions.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WorkgroupsForWindows

[2] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsLispScreen
--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)